Thursday, March 8, 2012

Happy Be Here Now Day

Happy “Be Here Now” day. In the 70’s I was introduced to Ram Dass’s revolutionary book, “Be Here Now.” The book came by way of a beautiful very pregnant young woman. The book provided my first insight into the present. Until then my mind merely flirted with reality. I was usually ruminating on the past or fretting about some future imagined event.  My friend was so illuminated by the book that she and her husband changed their lives to embrace and live their values. Life was short they thought. They decided to do what they wanted and do it now. They sold their home and moved into the country. They started a garden. One night my friend was in a minor traffic accident. She went to the emergency room and was send home with a clean bill of health. Later that night, her lungs filled with fluid, and she and her unborn child died.

The story is sad. Her life and death provided a powerful gift for me. If she had not read the book, she might not have awakened to her life and lived her last few months fully alive and present. I began the journey away from the mental past and future and into the present. Many years later I had the opportunity to tell the story to Ram Dass. I thought my friend would want him to know. In honor of my friend and keeping with the theme of making everyday a holiday, I pronounce this “Be Here Now” Day.

I want to make it very clear’ this is my life and I am here.

No comments:

Post a Comment