Thursday, March 15, 2012

Happy Synchronicity Day

Happy Synchronicity Day   What is synchronicity? It is meaningful coincidence. I’ve found when I talk about synchronicity I often find it. It’s like when you buy a car, you see cars like yours everywhere you go.
Yesterday I held a teleseminar. One of the exercises I suggested was to pay attention to how the bottoms of your feet feel when you walk. This awareness practice is a walking meditation. While preparing for the talk I wished I had the words to the song we sang when I participated in 2002 Thich Nhat Hanh peace walk in Memphis. I knew I had written the words somewhere and I assumed they were tossed long ago.
Last night I needed a box to mail an item. I went to the attic and found the perfect box. I noticed another box from our 2005 move. It had a few papers in the bottom. I gathered the papers, climbed down the attic ladder, eager to look at the papers. Upon examination I found some old tax records and tossed them in the recycling bin, but there was one small piece of paper – wow there it was. It was the paper I had at the peace march. I had scribbled the words I mentally sought earlier today on this small paper.  The missing words found their way to me.  I felt that tingle of aliveness when I sense the connection of life.
This event reminded me of a previous attic incident.  In 1981 I hosted a workshop. One of the exercises was to imagine what would happen during the next 10 years of our lives. We were to stretch and think of things we really wanted to happen. I wrote a detailed account about my life, my career and my relationships. After the workshop I placed the workshop notebook in my attic. One day I went to the attic to retrieve a suitcase. I noticed the notebook. The year was 1989 – eight years after I’d charted the imaginary course my life might take. I opened the book and read, “In 1989 I met a spiritual master. “ Now it was 1989 and I was packing my bags to go to India to see Gurumayi. (You may remember her as the guru from “Eat, Pray, Love.”) My imagination seemed more like a prophecy or a self-created destiny. Off I went to see the master. The trip was fraught with synchronicity and magic. I would have to give 1989 a 10 on life’s scale. Yeah life.

I like to set an intention for each day. Some days I expect good surprises, but today I’ll look for a meaningful coincidence – where the content of my mind matches and external event. I invite you to do the same. Happy Synchronicity and remember to make everyday a holiday.

No comments:

Post a Comment